SPACE is seeking performance work proposals for The Moving Body in SPACE, the second iteration of our newly established works-in-progress series. The series aims to provide a much-needed regional performance opportunity to debut works in development exploring the contemporary body as medium, equally interested in innovation in choreographic traditions and experimental or multidisciplinary modes of performance. Successful proposals will be for original works that are either in development or have only been performed a few times, yet could take advantage of this opportunity for creative improvements or ambitious risks. Projects will be selected through a proposal process evaluated on: vitality of the proposed project and its ideas, quality and integrity of the work, appropriateness of the project and its format to SPACE and the artist's ability to successfully realize the proposed project.
This is intended as an ongoing recurring opportunity, SPACE and its performance advisory council may curate an evening based on relevant themes or trends in the applicant pool.
SPACE's call for applications are free of charge for artists. Due to the limited amount of artists we can focus on for each of these evening engagements, we hope that previous applicants are encouraged to reapply with their latest work or ideas.
Selected applicants will be given the opportunity to:
- Perform at a shared evening-length program selected with other performers November 8th 2018 at SPACE.
-Participate in two phone calls/conversations with performer/choreographer Riley Watts to discuss the development of the work ahead of the performance.
- Selected artists will receive an artist stipend for their work and expenses, video and photo documentation of their performance as well as technical assistance in ther realization of the work.*
* Please note that SPACE is not a traditional dance venue but will provide technical assistance within reasonable accomodation of our facilities (sound, frontal stage projection, and lighting grid) that we have. SPACE has a concrete floor, plywood stage, and marley floor available. If proposals include other technical requirements we are open to working with artists who can facilitate their own additional needs. Photos of SPACE's main space can be found here. (where the performance will take place can be found here, please note SPACE's gallery is not available to be used for this performance)
- Submit a maximum one-page proposal detailing what you would like to perform, including the estimated time of the work.
- Submit 3-5 minutes of unedited video work sample(s) with a description of work sample, including whether the sample is the work proposed or relevant previous examples of work. A combination of documentation of any work in progress and finished past works is preferred.
- Participants must be based in or have a strong connection to New England.
- Participants must adapt their performance to SPACE’s technical abilities and limitations.
- Participants must submit a complete application to SPACE by Sunday July 1st at 11:59PM
For questions about applications, please email firstname.lastname@example.org No phone calls please.
The SPACE Performance Advisory Council is Asher Woodworth, Riley Watts, and Sara Juli.